Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Winter Comes to Virginia! Better Late than Never!

This beautiful window is from the National Cathedral in DC.  I just love that place!  =)

We had a snow day yesterday.  A real one.  10 inches of snow, no school, and all.  This is the first time since I've been in Virginia that I've seen a real snowfall!  We have had dustings, and even an inch or-- maybe if you measure a place where it's drifted-- two inches.  So when the wether men were saying we'd get anywhere from 2 to 13 inches of snow overnight, I knew which it would be.  We'd get one and a half.

That night as I slept I dreamed, like Ezra Jack Keats' Peter in The Snowy Day, that all the snow had melted.  I dreamed of rivulets of water running down the street and little slush piles beside the sidewalk.  But when I woke and looked out the window I could almost see Keats' pink and blue snowflakes.   It had snowed!  For real!  And for just a moment I was back in Minnesota, land of 10,000 snow storms, land of my childhood.  

My kids, who did not grow up in Minnesota, were very impressed.  They kept pointing out to each other the snow on the grill, the way it clung to the bushes,  and how amazingly DEEP it was.  =)  
And I began to remember why, other than my husband's job, we do not live in Minnesota.  Coats, hats and gloves all over the floor.  Clumps of snow and puddles of snow-melt on the wood floors and carpet.  Boots to trip over in the entry way.  And sleds dropped in the front room, of all places.  

All of which begs the questions-- why do we own sleds, boots and gloves if this is the first time it has really snowed in 5 years?  To tell you the truth, I have no idea.  

Perhaps next time AmVets calls about donations I'll have lots of things to put out.  Then in another 5 years, when it snows again, we can all wonder what ever happened to that sled that used to be in the garage.  And by that time I will have completely forgotten about what I did, and I'll be able to honestly answer, "Hmm.... I have no idea!"

Happy snow days Virginia!  =) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes miss those snow storms. But what I miss is getting all dressed up in my snow gear, laying in the snow in the somehow silent dark and talking with Brad Rosenthal. Or building snow forts, or making snow angels, I had such a fun childhood. I hope most people can say that.