Monday, May 4, 2009

Flight to Panama!

We did it!  (Panama-- that is.) And it was really, really fun.  =)

Our adventures began at 3:30 am when we got up to get dressed (yes, we were dressed that early- even though we homeschool-  amazing, I know) to get on the plane that left at 6:30 in the morning.   Sacrificing sleep for vacation.  Go figure.   

I had pulled up our flight schedule the night before, just to be sure I had the right flight number and-- shock!-- we were not flying out of Reagan National!  We were leaving from Dulles!  Boy, was that a good thing to find out before we were sitting at Reagan wondering where our plane was.  

I fell asleep on the plane right away- pretty soundly, apparently- and was surprised when we started landing.  Short flight!   Then I heard the captain say we had a medical emergency on board and were landing in North Carolina, and I noticed the guy doing CPR on someone at the front of the plane.  We had the closest thing to a crash landing I ever hope to experience.  Stuff went flying everywhere.  Rachel said afterwards, "So that's why you have to have your seat back and tray in the upright position and locked position.  So you don't knock your teeth out!"  Ambulances, police cars, more ambulances.   A woman was carried off the plane and into an ambulance.  We waited.  And watched out the windows.  And waited more.  The captain said, "Hopefully we will still have permission to fly to Panama today."  Was that in question?  The ambulance with the woman left, and so did we.  Being in America they did not share the woman's medical information with the passengers.  (In some places we've lived they probably would have announced to the whole plane exactly what was going on.)  I hope she recovered.  

The rest of the flight was uneventful.  At least for me.  I fell back to sleep- I thought only lightly- but when I awoke I was disappointed that they had not even served beverages, let alone food.  Until my kids started talking about their apple pancakes, and I said, "Hey!  You got food and you didn't wake me?"  I was well-rested, though!  =)

Now, speaking of being well-rested, I'm going to bed.  I'll try to write more and post some photos tomorrow.  (Today was laundry, grocery shopping, and clean the house day. I have never been so happy to do things I usually loath.) 

Rebecca =)
who finished The Chrysalis by Heather Turrell and recommends it to any who enjoy a lawyer/mystery/historical fiction-type novel  (some mild adult-type content)     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry we didn't wake you up for food! That was definiatly the most eventful plane ride I've ever had! :)

I love you!