Monday, January 26, 2009

Book News

In the world of children's book publishing, today was the big day!  Newbery, Caldecott, Printz and other awards were announced.  Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book took the Newbery and Beth Krommes took the Caldecott for The House in the Night.  

In my own little publishing world, I had bittersweet news today.  Two publishers have been considering Jacob's Peak, and today I received this letter from one of them.

Dear Ms Watson,

Thank you for responding to my query and sending me the first three chapters of The Other Side of Jacob's Peak.  I'm terribly sorry for having had this for so long, especially since I have to pass.  I think you have a wonderful premise.  So wonderful, in fact, that I signed up a similarly plotted manuscript some months ago and think it would be problematic to have them both on Dutton's list.  However, I enjoyed the narrative voice, and welcome you to send me projects in the future.  

I'm sorry the news is bittersweet, especially after the wait.  I wish you the best of luck in finding the right publishing home for you project.  I'm returning the materials herewith.

Sincerely,
Julie Strauss-Gabel,  Associate Editor
Dutton Children's Books

Augh!  What is this "similarly plotted ms?"  I want to read it when it comes out.  And...  I really, really, really want to find a home for this book.  

In the mean time I have begun work on a book that, I recently realized, I have been thinking of since I was very young.  Like maybe eight years old.  It's a strange story, sort of a fairy tale feeling, with odd things, a bit of magic, and some nasty grown-ups.  No title yet.  I hope it works. I'll let you know.  It feels so familiar, I guess because it's a story I've thought about for most of my life, in one way or another, so putting it on "paper" (or the computer screen) will be weird.  I'm still at the think-about-it-as-I-drive, write-out-different-plot-variations, try-different-characters-on-for-size stage.  But I am quite certain it will get written rather quickly.  

And while I work on that, I hope and pray for the other publisher to LOVE Jacob's Peak.  To laugh, and cry, and shout, and stomp, and then pick up the phone and call me and say, "I absolutely Must Have this book!"  Now you know what Rebecca hopes for.

Have a wonderful day!  Enjoy the new award winners!  =)     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what books had won the Caldacott and Newbery... They look interesting!

I hope someone falls in love with Jacob's Peak too! Soon! I did...