Monday, January 19, 2009

Dead Weeds

I have been taking my camera everywhere with me lately, photographing everything.  My kids' violin lessons, things I see while sitting at stoplights (these pictures are not very interesting, I must admit.  Stoplights are not in the most romantic locations), and dead weeds.  Lots and lots of dead weeds.  They are really quite stunning.  I suppose some of them are probably not technically weeds, but still--

I hope to put together a lovely slide show entirely of dead weeds some time soon-- probably after my working time turner arrives-- and I'll post it here when I get it done. In the mean time, here are a couple of photos to get you thinking about the beauty of dead weeds.  =)














In other news, we are finally taking down our Christmas tree today.  Procrastination is a speciality of mine, but I've been getting a bit lax.  We had one particularly memorable year when we didn't get the tree down until Easter.  It might have gone that far again this year, except that Mike has the day off, and he put the kids to work on it first thing this morning.  

Photographing everything is part of my New Life.  (Rebecca version 40.2)  In this life I wear red, carry a camera, and am organized.  So far it's going well.  I found some wonderful red shoes at the church clothing exchange and brought them home, even though-- at the time-- I did not own anything else red.  But the thrift shop had a wonderful red boiled wool jacket and a bright red sweater with wooly white sheep.  Bethany is happy to let me borrow her voluptuous red coat.  I picked up a red purse at said thrift shop and Voila!  The New Me!  Dressed in red, photographing strangers, stoplights and dead weeds.  (I'm not sure about the legality of photographing strangers at stoplights.  I should probably look into that.)  And between photo shoots, I clean out obscure corners of my house.  I've thrown away countless little bottles of hotel shampoo, found more art supplies than any one person should be allowed to own, and wondered how unlabeled, burned CDs manage to multiply in bottom dresser drawers. 

Have a wonderful MLK day, Inauguration Day, and remaining pieces of January.  And please, enjoy the dead weeds.  They only last so long, you know.       

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures! I'm glad your new life is going well! :)

Gracewanderer said...

If you're going to be taking a lot of photographs you might want to get a Flickr account: www.flickr.com It's probably the largest photo sharing site around, and I'm a big fan of it. My account is here: http://flickr.com/photos/gracewanderer/

Be sure to let me know if you get an account so I can add you on there.

As for laws - shooting (sorry, photographing) someone on the street is perfectly legal under almost all conceivable circumstances. Here are a few articles and resources:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

http://www.rcfp.org/photoguide/

Anonymous said...

Should I tell you that I have spent the last five minutes laughing all byself in my study? I loved this entry! It was the fact that your Christmas tree didn't come down 'till Easter that got it started, really ... Easter? And I love that you have a "new you". Maybe I should come up with a new me that also takes photos all the time. I like that idea, maybe some day soon you will read about a new me on my blog. In yourlast dead weed photo how did you make that weed in focus and everything else blurry? You'll need to give me photo lessons in July.