Friday, January 30, 2009

The US Constitution and Religion

I have been thinking a lot about the US Constitution lately, and how American history, American government, and American laws are taught in the public schools and in our homes.  I have also been thinking about how people do-- or more often do not-- discuss religion in America.

I have been struck several times lately by what seems to me an odd thing.  Friends have said that they hope I am not offended if they ask questions about my religion.  How odd!   To me, religion is not a hidden thing.  And yet, it seems to be becoming more and more hidden in America. 

I think, throughout the history of the world, nothing has been more dangerous to individuals, families and nations than coercions of Church and State.  Wars, bloodshed, hatred and tears have been the legacy of these two powers combined.  Understanding this, the founding fathers of the US Constitution took great pains to see that two remain separate.   And yet, recently, the division between these two has been eroded-- in a back handed, sly and sometimes misunderstood way.  Instead of prescribing Catholicism or Protestantism, the government has been pushing and coercing us to adopt atheism.  

(One method is by confusing the idea of public with the idea of government sponsored.  These two are not the same.  Public prayer is not government sponsored prayer.) 

I was deeply bothered several years ago when I heard Bethany's kindergarten teacher telling the children about the first Thanksgiving.  She said that the Pilgrims gathered to have a big meal and give thanks.  "Who did they thank?" she asked the class.  One of the children said, "God!"  The teacher shook her head no.  "They were thanking the indians," she said, and the poor little boy who had given the correct answer looked very confused.  Afterwards I asked the teacher if she knew that her lesson on Thanksgiving had been incorrect.  She said, "Yes, but that is what I have to teach."

WHAT?? Are we in a communist state here?  Is our government rewriting history to fit the current version of politically correct?  Who gave the school district, the state, or even the federal government the right to change what really happened?  I was horrified and sick about what I had seen.  And I still am.  

I'd like to quote President David O. McKay in his remarks made in 1962 in response to the US Supreme Court's ruling on prayer in public schools.  "By law, the public schools of the United States must be non-denominational.  They can have no part in securing acceptance of any one of the numerous systems of belief regarding God and the relation of mankind thereto.  Now let us remember and emphasize that restriction applies to the atheist as well as to the believer in God."

It seems to me that trying to teach US history without mentioning God is like trying to teach the settlement of California without mentioning gold.  How can we teach about any of world history-- the everlasting conflicts in the middle east, great pieces of music, art of the middle ages, even the cold war-- without talking about God and religion?  A person simply cannot be well-educated without knowledge of different religions.  Curiosity about other's beliefs is a hallmark of an intelligent being.  
 
Does this mean public schools should teach religion?  Yes, and no.  I think they should teach about all religions in an academic manner.  Our children should understand the basic beliefs of Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and all other major world religions.  They should be taught the parts these religions have played-- good and bad-- in world history, in the lives of great leaders, and in current events.  Without this, their education is fractured and incomplete.

Now, I will get off my soap box and go get into the shower.  Have a wonderful day.  And please, discuss religion with someone today.  =)       
 

4 comments:

Gracewanderer said...

I follow a few atheist blogs, particularly The Friendly Atheist and The Secular Right. Would you mind if I sent a link to this entry to them?

Rebecca =) said...

Go for it. =)

Rachel said...

I like how you put the difference between teaching religion and teaching about religion. It is important to understand different religions and the role they have played in the history of our country and the world.
I love you! :)

Anonymous said...

I took your advice, I spoke with my neighbor about Religion. I enjoyed this post.