Monday, July 14, 2008

Mystery of the missing boy...

We are babysitting, nannying, providing day care for... (pick one) a 10 year old boy.  He came for the first time last week, his mom paid for the next two weeks, she is leaving for a short overseas job in a few days and he's supposed to be staying here while she's gone.  But today, he didn't come.  No phone call, nothing.

I called his mom's cell.  No answer.  I left a message.  A couple of hours later, I left another message.  No return calls.  Nothing.  I called her office and got her voice mail.  Still nothing.

Now, most likely she went out of town unexpectedly, brought her son along, and forgot to take her cell phone with her.  She is probably, at this minute, thinking "Boy I wish I had their phone number with me so I could call them!  I bet they're worried!"  (She would be right.)  Or she forgot to tell me she had Monday off work and was taking him to the beach.  She's probably going to show up tomorrow morning with a perfectly logical, no-need-to-worry type explanation.  And I will know that all the horrible scenarios running through my mind were products of an overactive imagination.  (No doubt that I have an overactive imagination.)

But still... 

I hope he shows up, talking Pokemon non-stop, happy to tell me about his fun Monday with Mom.  

I hope it very much.

Rebecca

No comments: