Saturday, July 5, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!  This has been a crazy week.  

We hosted a family reunion here at our house, enjoyed the fourth of July =), picked Bethany up from girl's camp, got Josh ready for EFY, and Rachel started a new job... all with 20 people in the house.  

I recently finished my second-ever novel, The Other Side of Jacob's Peak!  It took about a year and a half to write and edit and is a 90,000 word young adult novel about discovering who you are, and changing to become the person you are meant to be.  Rachel, Elizabeth, Josh, my sisters Emily and ELizabeth, and a friend named Emma read, edited and provided invaluable feedback.  Mike and the kids gave me the time to write. We'll see if it is ever published.  I also have a picture book, Moonflowers, out right now, and a query letter for three nonfiction picture books on physics.  
Here is a short excerpt from Jacob's Peak.

I stared at him and dropped the knife.  It fell to the ground with a clatter that rang loudly, even amid the wails of the mourning songs.
"What in Ada's name are you talking about? I'm not a killer!"
"Hush," he hissed.  "Shut your stupid mouth!"
I took a step back and shook my head.  "You're crazy.  I won't do it."
He crouched awkwardly in his black robes and snatched up the knife.  "And you didn't kill hundreds of innocent people, either, did you?"  He turned me around, giving me a clear view of the funeral pyre and the mourners wailing.  A small body was being placed on the fire and I became aware of the smell of burnt flesh wafting across the night.  I turned away, trembling, refusing to see what I had done.
"Just take the knife!"
The edge of insanity in his voice was alarming.  I reached out and took the knife from his shaking hands, hiding it quickly beneath my tunic.

All right, it's after midnight and I'd better go to bed.  My pillow is calling to me.

=)
Book I'm currently reading: John Adams  (I like it a lot)    


  

1 comment:

Gracewanderer said...

1. Cats are domestic and may therefore make easier prey.
2. Bethany's robotics group sounds interesting, what does she do in it?
3. I've been thinking lately, and I think you should tell Josh (from me) that he should join the Marines. Or the Air Force. But NOT the Army. (And if he joins the Marines, the Infantry is definitely the way to go for the first few years.)
4. I don't know if you're following my blog or not but when I was visiting Shelley, she insisted that I buy a copy of Fluxx to play with her. It was fun =)