Friday, July 11, 2008

The Tricky Bit About Blogging...

I often think, while standing in the shower, of things I could write on this blog.  Many of them are deep, personal thoughts, and while standing in the shower, they feel inspiring.  

But then I dry off, get dressed, and remember that I live in the real world.  Oh yeah!  People might actually read what I write!  People I know!  There is no way I'm going to confess the things I was just thinking of in a public forum.  What if Joe Shmoe were to read what I thought of him?  What if my kids become famous and someone links my blog to their life, and brings up the stuff I wrote in a national debate?  

Ok.  Ok.  Very unlikely.  I know.  But still... the internet is such a public place.  Nothing like my shower. 

So I decide to keep it simple.  Leave out the deep, personal stuff.  But that leaves... umm... nothing.  Or at least nothing interesting.  

The weather is pleasant today.  Elizabeth is making crepes for breakfast.  I think I'll attend the homeschool conference this afternoon.  Bethany met with a robotics group yesterday and had fun.  Rachel is working several jobs and will most certainly have enough $$ to return to BYU in the fall.  Our cats are still alive.

About our cats... They are being held, against their wills, in the grass-less, bird- and small hunt-able creature-less, limited fresh-air, confined and insanity-causing prison.  AKA, our house.  And they are NOT happy about it.  They can see the chipmunks in the yard, the birds flitting from bush to bush, and the insects lighting on the outside of the windows.  And they desperately want out!  

But there are also foxes outside. We have tried to communicate this to the cats.  But they don't seem to be getting it, even though one of them (Carly) was almost eaten by a fox a few weeks ago. A neighbor came to tell us a fox was chasing Carly through her backyard, so Bethany dashed off for the kitty treats and ran out the front door.  She came back in with our tiny cat trembling in her arms.  Carly was crying actual tears that dripped onto Bethany's arms.  Not long after, we got a report from our neighborhood that there are foxes in the area (really?) and that cats have been eaten.  My question:  What would cause a fox to be hungry enough to eat a cat?  We have squirrels, chipmunks, moles, opossums, raccoons (well, ok, I'd rather try to eat a cat than a raccoon if I were a fox, but still-- there are other options!) fish, ducks and turtles.  No need to eat my cats.  Really.

I'm trying to get enough free brain time to begin another novel.  I'm bouncing four ideas around in my head, and working on some non-fiction picture books about physics in the mean time.  Untangling String Theory, What's in the Particle Zoo?, and Leaping into Quantum Mechanics

Speaking of which, I saw a cute quote the other day.

Quantum Mechanics... the dreams stuff is made of.

=)  

All right.  I'm off to get into the shower.  More deep, personal thoughts.  Sorry, I can't share them. 

Rebecca  =)
book thought: I'm only on page 155, but I believe John Adams is the best book I've ever read.          

2 comments:

Bari Ayn Guibord said...

Hi Rebecca!!! I'm reading! Keep writing.....

Bari (in Chicago)

Bari Ayn Guibord said...

Okay, so, now its asking me to post a comment again and choose and identity......um, I'm confused.....sorry Rebecca, if you get all excited that you have two new comments posted and they are both from me.....I'm technologically uninclined....