Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh, sweet!

I just read an article on Science News for Kids (see link at the bottom of the blog) about honey as a cough suppressant.  According to a recent study, honey may be a *better* cough suppressant than dextromethorphan(DM) or codeine.   Oh, happy day!  =)  And oh that my parents had had this info when I was little.  

I have particular sympathies with any child made to swallow a spoonful of cough medicine.  For some unexplained reason I coughed, and Coughed, and COUGHED from about October to April while I was growing up, and cough syrup played a hefty part in my diet.  I would have given just about anything to swallow a spoonful of honey instead.  

I have often wondered what I would do with a time machine if I had one.  I now know one stop I would make-- 1358 Almond Ave, mid 1970's, to drop off a hint on sweet cough remedies. 

Rebecca  =)  

No comments: