Thursday, August 14, 2008

Great Books!

I've read a couple of books lately I just have to rave about.

Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris

Two homeschool brothers encourage other teens to rebel against the low expectations society places on them.  They cite examples from history and modern times of teens who made difficult choices to do hard things, and so made a difference in the world.   They host a web site (TheRebelution.com) dedicated to teens encouraging other teens in doing difficult, good things.  The book inspired me-- as an adult-- to get up off the couch and do hard things.  I'm making it required reading for my kids-- who are not balking, since it's pretty fun to read.  =)

A Curse as Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

This is a retelling of Rumplestiltskin that had me holding my breath and whispering advice to the characters.  A skillfully woven story set in England in the opening days of the industrial revolution.  It's been a long time since a book has gripped me like this one did.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed it!

(And I hope you gave the characters better advice than some of what they got in the book... ;))

~ecb