Friday, August 1, 2008

Rejection

The mail man rang the bell a few minutes ago because we had so much mail it wouldn't fit in the box.  As soon as I saw the large brown package, I knew.  My manuscript was returned.  

Kate Fletcher (associate editor at Candlewick) included a nice, personal letter in which she made several comments on The Other Side of Jacob's Peak about what she likes and doesn't like, and then concludes with, "Unfortunately, I don't think this is a good fit for Candlewick.... the current economic situation... I'll have to pass on this one.... tastes and opinions vary greatly from editor to editor, so I encourage you to submit this elsewhere."

Sigh.

Ok.  Time to pull out the Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market and decide on other editors to send it to.  Perhaps also some agents to query.  

My brain knows that almost no one publishes any book with the first editor they send it to.  And personal letters are rare in the publishing world.  I should be happy.  I should think, Wow!  she took time to write to me!  That's awesome!  

But for some reason, at the moment-- a whopping 5 minutes after reading the rejection letter--I'm feeling-- well-- rejected.  Kind of as if the guy I was dating, who I thought might be about to propose, said he'd like to just be friends.  

Sigh.  (Again.)  

I am working on another novel.  It doesn't have a name yet-- not even a working name.  And I still like Jacob's Peak.  I'll send it out again.  Some day I'll publish a book.  Some day.   

Rebecca  =) 

P.S.
There is a line in a song (Life's a Dance) that fits here.  "Been knocked down by the slamming door, picked myself and came back for more."  There is a heavy dose of determination and refusal to take no for an answer, (aka, stubbornness) necessary in this life.  Especially if you ever intent to publish a book.  Just for the record, I did publish a play last year!  =)    

1 comment:

Gracewanderer said...

Getting a personal letter IS rare =)