Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Stories

First, a quote, which I found on Shannon Hale's blog, and which she got from G.K. Chesterton.

"We all like astonishing tales because they touch the nerve of the ancient instinct of astonishment.  This is proved by the fact that when we are very young children we do not need fairy tales: we only need tales.  Mere life is interesting enough.  A child of seven is excited by being told that Tommy opened a door and saw a dragon.  But a child of three is excited by being told that Tommy opened a door.  Boys like romantic tales; but babies like realistic tales- because they find them romantic.  In fact, a baby is about the only person, I should think, to whom a modern realistic novel could be read without boring him.

"This proves that even nursery tales only echo an almost pre-natal leap of interest and amazement.  These tales say that apples were golden only to refresh the forgotten moment when we found that they were green.  They make rivers run with wine only to make us remember, for one wild moment, that they run with water."
"The Ethics of Elfland," Orthodoxy, G.K. Chesterton

I have been writing down for the first time, and polishing, a tale I made up when I was about 16.  I told it as a bed time story for my little sisters, Emily and Elizabeth, when they were 3 and I would lay in between them on their double bed in Morocco and scratch their backs while I made up and told stories.  I made my little brother, Dan, the hero.  The story is called Prince Daniel, and since I know it so well, having lived with it for many years now, it took very little time to write.  I am thinking I may try illustrating it, as well.  Probably an exercise only, since picture books are not selling right now, but I can learn from exercises.  No learning is lost.  And perhaps someday, when the picture book market picks up again, I'll be able to do something with it.

I've also been turning over, researching, pondering and writing out plots for a novel set around 2000 BC.  It's a time period that has always fascinated me.  We'll see if anything comes of it.  I have a character in mind, and I know this is when she lives.  I just am not finding a lot of information on what people wore, ate, and did during the day.  Probably for very good reasons.

And I've been putting the finishing touches on another novel, very different from anything else I've ever written.  Since my "new" refurbished printer showed up in the mail yesterday, I can now print and mail stuff again.  Yay!  =)

Elizabeth is spending several hours a day trying to get a reliable copy of Saving Lizzy Fish burned for the Sundance Film Festival.  

Rebecca  =)
who hopes to go read Rapunzel's Revenge, a graphic novel by Shannon Hale that just came out.  Assuming she can get it away from her kids.     





No comments: