Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Odds Fish, M' Dear

We've been enjoying the Scarlet Pimpernel lately, and Peter can do a wonderful Percy Blakney impersonation.  =)  If you haven't read the book, I can almost guarantee you'll love it.  The movie is wonderful, but the book!  It is apparently The Original spy romance novel, with fast action, a lovely romance, a brave heroine, and lots of laughs.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.

But lately the phrase, "Odds fish, m'dear" has been going through my head in reference, not to Sir Percy Blakney, but to Naomi. 
 
As I think I mentioned in a previous post, she fainted recently, and our doctor thought perhaps it was not a "regular" faint, but an absence (or petit mal) seizure.  I thought he was imagining things.  But I Googled it anyway out of curiosity.

Odds fish, m'dear!  Everything I read was a perfect description of one of Naomi's unusual behaviors she's had since we adopted her!  In stressful situations, she suddenly goes blank, eyes staring, face slack, unresponsive.  We call it the dead fish look.  And it is apparently, most likely a petit mal seizure.  

Since she has had so many other... umm... shall we say... odd behaviors... I did not think anything much of her dead fish look.  It's not as odd as some of the other things she's done.  I just chalked it up to Naomi-- an unusual girl.  

I had no idea it was a form of epilepsy.

Anyway, she goes in next week for an EEG in hopes of confirming the diagnosis.  We'll see.  

And then, yesterday, we got the official diagnosis of PDD-NOS, or atypical autism.  Also for Naomi.  Something I read suggested Mike and I may want counseling to deal with the prospect of raising an autistic child.  My thought?  I am WAY past being stressed about autism.  This is an improvement!  She's getting better!  =)  

(For anyone reading this who does not know our history-- -- it's a long story.  Very long.)

 Have a wonderful day!  or night!  If you happen to be in Nepal, thank you for the nice long email!  =)

Rebecca  =)   

1 comment:

Gracewanderer said...

To be honest, I suspect that a lot of people in your family have some degree of Aspergers syndrome anyway, so Naomi should fit right in.